Sunday, July 11, 2010

Oklahoma O.K.!!!!

Thanks be to the Jesus Taco (and Caddo Parish School Board) for allowing me time off in the summer to do the things that I love:  take long naps, stay in my pajamas all day, practice making new cupcakes and frostings, spend huge amounts of time doing nothing with family and friends and travel. Lucky for me, my summer has included all of these lovely things.

This past Wednesday, I packed my bags, hopped in the car and headed for the first stop on what I like to call "SUMMER TOUR 2010".  This magnificent tour includes (but is not limited to) Oklahoma City, Tulsa and NYC!!  First stop:  Oklahoma City!

I visited my sweet friend, Lisa, and met her husband and new baby for the first time.  I haven't seen Lisa in, get this, 4 ridiculous years.  Crazy, huh?  I'm still a little baffled as to where exactly all that time went. 

I had a long time to think on my drive to Oklahoma (a solid six hour drive), due mostly in part to my iPod deciding to die a painful death right before I left.  And, one of the many thoughts I had on the way is that since the last time I saw Lisa, she has gotten engaged, married, beat a brain tumor and  had a baby.  A lot can happen in 4 years, people!  The most lovely thing though, is that even with all of the changes and expereinces in both of our lives over the last 4 years, everything was exactly the same as we had left it.  Our friendship is so easy and effortless and special. 

It was so great to catch up with Lisa and love on her sweet new baby, Layla, who is six weeks old and a whopping 7lbs.  What a great way to start my summer roadtrip!!





After my fabulous time with Lisa & Layla, I headed over to the Duke's house.  The Dukes pastored at the church I grew up in when I was in junior high and high school and then retired in Oklahoma when I was in college at SNU.  They were so kind to me when I was a teenager and in college, they served as spiritual guides, surrogate parents, mentors and friends.  They are by far, the sweetest most amazing people on the planet.  I had a wondeful time visiting with them and even had the opportunity to take them to dinner, which was really a nice expereince for me, considering how many times they took me out to eat when I was in high school and in college especially. However, dinner is not nearly enough to say thank-you to two people who have been so influential in my life.  People who have prayed for me, encouraged me and loved me unconditionally.  Whoa!  I am so incredibly blessed!



Next, I was lucky enough to meet up with my fantastic friends, Ryan and Ashley Gage, who live in Florida but just so happened to be in Oklahoma visiting their families.  DIVINE INTERVENTION, anyone?

I met Lisa & Layla early to run some errands and get some more Q.T. in before heading to Ted's for lunch with the Gage family.  Ted's happens to be everyones favorite restaurant in OKC and just the thought of the place conjures up tons of fun memories from college.


Ryan and Ashley are two of my dearest friends from college.  Every time I'm with them, laughter is sure to be heard.  I mean the kind of laughter that hurts your stomach or makes your pee your pants a little. Honest. So, it's no surprise that together they made the most adorable and hilarious little boy, Keller, who I was very pleased to meet for the first time and sit next to at lunch.  Keller kept us all laughing with his "knock, knock" jokes and quick wit.  He is so precious and perfect.  Then, as if they didn't bring enough fabulousness into the world, they created the most beautiful little girl, Kerrington.  She is so delish!  It was sheer delight laughing and reminiscing with them again.



My last stop in Oklahoma City was to visit with one of my favorite families, the Lytles.  I used to babysit their girls, Lydia and Sally, when I was in college at SNU.  Lydia was 1 1/2 and Sally was a newborn when I started babysitting.  It was so fun to be able to see how much they have changed and grown..  Sally is 6 1/2 now and Lydia is 8!  What?  When did that happen??  They are still the most adorable, charming children ever and will forever be my favorites!!  I was so happy I got a chance to visit with the girls and their fabulous mom, Suzy, and dad, Jeff.  What a perfect way to end my stay in OKC.




The truth is, I'm not sure what I did to deserve such wonderful people in my life....but, i'll take it!!

1 comments:

Jerry Phelps said...

your blog posts are always beautiful. this one especially. but, it is bad that i am afraid you wont be so reflective and such in NYC. im hoping for some hooping and hollering. :)