Monday, January 21, 2013

Repeat with me...

Yesterday at church we recited the following pledge that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. wrote in 1963 on a card for volunteers to sign when they joined the Southern Christian Leadership Conference.  


I think the world would be a much better place if we ALL took this same pledge.

I hereby pledge myself - my person and my body -
To nonviolence, peace and justice
For all people everywhere.

Therefore I will keep the following commandments:

I will meditate daily on the teachings and life of Jesus.

I will remember always that the nonviolent movement seeks justice and reconciliation - not victory.

I will walk and talk in the manner of love, for God is love.

I will pray daily to be used by God in order that all people might be free.

I will observe with friend and foe the ordinary rules of courtesy.

I will seek to perform regular service for others and for the world.

I will refrain from violence of fist, tongue or heart.

I will strive to be in good spiritual and bodily health.

I will listen with respect to those who love and teach me.


0 comments: